Cancer Prompted Me To Ditch The Worry Habit

I am a worrier by nature.  Even as a child I was often ridden with angst.  My favourite time to worry is the middle of the night.  I call it my “3 a.m. worry-fest”.  Some of my best worry topics are:

-my health

-my kids’ health and safety

-money

-my job

-my relationships

If I don’t have anything legitimate to worry about, I can easily make something up in a pinch (such as: “What if there is a tidal wave in the middle of the night and I have to get the kids to high country? How will we survive when we get there?  I should really go pack a survival kit right now.”)

I just read a book which is making me re-consider my worry habit.  Dying to be Me is the story of Anita Moorjani’s near death experience, and subsequent miraculous recovery from cancer.  This woman was literally on her death bed, her skeletal body had open lesions, her organs had begun to shut down, and she was given less than 36 hours to live.  While in a coma, Anita “crossed over”, and came back with such amazing insight and clarity that it cured her of her cancer.  It is a true medical miracle which continues to baffle the world-wide medical community.

What interested me in this book is not her description of the after-life, the feeling of unconditional love and euphoria, or even meeting departed loved ones on the other side.  That was a given for me before reading this book.  What I wanted to know is this: what gave you cancer in the first place and  how did you get rid of it?

When asked what gave her cancer, Anita says, “I can sum up the answer in one word: fear.”  She believes that all disease starts fist on an energetic level, before manifesting as disease in the body. Ironically, one of the things she was most afraid of was getting cancer.  According to Anita, because she worried so much and tried so hard to please others, she did not express her true self, and it was literally killing her.

When asked about her miraculous healing, Anita talks about the importance of self-love.  “…I can’t stress enough how important it is to cultivate a deep love affair with yourself.”  Her near death experience made her realize the importance of taking care of her own needs and not putting herself last all the time. (Sound familiar?)

So what I have concluded from this riveting book is that the only real thing I have to fear is fear itself. By worrying about my cancer returning, I am actually increasing the likelihood of it happening, since cancer feeds on fear!  In order to remain cancer-free, one of the things I must do is let go of my worries and fears and trust in God’s divine plan for my life.  Like Anita Moorjani, I must try to live my life fearlessly, and love the magnificent being that I am.

About these ads

10 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Mildred Lavers
    Aug 26, 2012 @ 11:20:47

There is also another great book about beating the worry habit.It is “How to Stop Worrying and Start Living” by Dale Carnegie. Great blogs and thanks so much for sharing..

Mildred

2. The Presents of Presence
    Aug 26, 2012 @ 12:18:25

I watched her with Dr. Wayne Dyer on a PBS special recently! I love that you blogged about her…I used to worry…now I give it all to God/Universe as I learned the hard way (thru cancer) that we can only control ourselves. :)

3. Susan
    Aug 26, 2012 @ 14:22:54

Wow what a great post you have addressed exactly what I am feeling. I will most assuredly look for this book and hope it makes me feel the way you do now. Thank you so much!

4. The Savvy Sister
    Aug 26, 2012 @ 18:54:40

It’s hard to put fear aside, but it sounds very logical. This book is on my “look for it” list. Oh, and you’re wicked awesome.

5. Rita Siscoe
    Aug 29, 2012 @ 22:35:40

Florence, I can identify with the worrying. I have spent approx the first 45 to 50 years of my life worrying. I believe I inherited the worry gene from my dad. With a lot of help from good friends and from my faith and from reading things like you just wrote I am much better. When I was a teenager, my dad told me that what you worry about most never happens so I figured that I should worry like hell and then I would be okay. But over the years I have learned that worry takes too much from you. There is time lost that you can never get back. I refuse to waste precious time on worrying but old habits die hard and that is why I love and need to read things like what you have written and books on a similar topic. You are an amazing soul and you have the most amazing family. (Your aunts are a riot). God bless you, Florence, and thank you for being you.
    Rita S.

• Cancer Warrior
      Aug 30, 2012 @ 09:21:54

Thank you, Rita….I credit you for giving me such a love for writing. I was a very quiet kid in school, as you probably recall. When I was in your class, I wrote a story…I don’t remember the exact details but it was something about a family drive and we got a flat tire. It was funny. You cracked up laughing while reading it and read it to the class. I was so proud! Thank you.

6. ONRPEI.CA
    Aug 30, 2012 @ 06:35:31

Great post, I agree that abolishing fear is beneficial to everyone’s health! Thanks for the ray of sunshine, I’ll definitely be quoting you when worrying becomes the topic of conversation:)

7. hopeforheather
    Sep 01, 2012 @ 00:42:17

Coincidence I stumbled onto your blog? I’m sure not. It was suggested I read that same book by someone in a support group I was in for my genetic condition. I guess the Universe is telling me to READ THAT BOOK ASAP. :)

8. Jan Baird Hasak
    Sep 01, 2012 @ 04:28:24

What a beautifully written piece! Fear doesn’t do anyone good. When fear invades my territory (and I’m a constant worrier like you), I replace it with a mantra “Peace Be Still.” It calms my anxiety and helps me to put everything in perspective. Thank you for this reminder that we must change our attitude to one of gratitude (and that’s not a platitude). xox

9. erinambrose